Theodor Aman house-museum. An oasis of artwork and sweetness within the middle of the capital

The Theodor Aman house-museum is likely one of the most stunning non-public residences in Bucharest. Positioned on CA Rosetti avenue, the home retains alive the ambiance of the nineteenth century. In the home of Theodor Aman, the artwork elite of Bucharest stepped, being the one inventive middle of the time.

Theodor Aman was the primary trendy Romanian painter, and along with Gheorghe Tăttărescu he based the Faculty of Tremendous Arts in Bucharest, the place he educated generations of plastic artists. In 1869, the artist completed the development of his home, which was to include each the house and a workshop, an exhibition area and a gathering place for the nice artists of Bucharest.

The home was constructed on the land obtained as a dowry by his spouse. As the primary home constructed on the road at the moment, Aman requested to be referred to as Clemenza, which was a translation of his title, Aman that means forgiveness. The home was conceived and designed by Theodor Aman, from the constructing plans to the inside decorations and a number of the exterior, the place he wanted the assistance of the architect Franz Scheller and the sculptor Karl Stork.

Theodor Aman house-museum. An oasis of artwork and sweetness within the middle of the capital

Constructed within the neoclassical fashion, based on the fastened instructions of the painter, the home has a floor ground and a primary ground. So, on the bottom ground there are eight rooms, the most important of which is the workshop, with a top of roughly 7 meters, which was additionally a everlasting exhibition of the artist’s works.

The outside decorations had been made with the assistance of the sculptor Storck, whereas the inside decorations, together with paneling, vitals, frescoes, door work, carved furnishings had been made by Theodor Aman. On the bottom ground facade there are two bronze statues of Roman inspiration sculpted by Storck, and on the primary ground facade some medallions of Michelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci, made by Theodor Aman.

In 1891, the artist died and left the home, by will, to his spouse. In 1904, Ana Aman donated the home and the gathering of work, sculptures and engravings, in addition to the artist’s work instruments, to the Ministry of Faith and Public Instruction on the situation that this home turns into a museum, based on the painter’s needs.

READ ALSO: THE FASCINATING HISTORY OF THE GHEORGHE TĂTTĂRESCU MEMORIAL HOUSE. IT IS THE ONLY PARTICULAR RESIDENCE IN THE FORM OF INN STILL PRESERVED FROM THE BEGINNING OF THE 19TH CENTURY

Thus, 4 years later, in 1908, the primary artwork museum in Bucharest was opened, the one one which has survived for over 110 years in the identical location in an previous constructing. Theodor Aman left a useful inventive legacy. The museum accommodates over 1,000 items from all genres of plastic and ornamental artwork: work, watercolors, sketches, wooden carvings, engravings, furnishings and objects that belonged to the painter. 165 oil work on canvas or wooden are on show right here, and the canvases are from all intervals of Aman’s improvement and span completely different genres from nice battle scenes to portraits, historic figures, landscapes and flowers. Furthermore, the sculpture made by the artist is represented extra by items of furnishings, similar to a four-legged cupboard with a discreet lock with bas-reliefs representing two nude ladies, a wooden field, two doorways on that are carved Titian, Rembrandt , Veronese and Raphael.

Nevertheless, his assortment additionally features a collection of graphic supplies, as a result of within the final a part of his life, the artist devoted himself to the method he discovered throughout his years of examine in Paris. In 1904, Ana Aman’s donation included 53 plates to which, over time, others had been added, the gathering reaching right now roughly 300 items. A museum room can also be devoted to engraving, the place plates and engraving are exhibited.

Over time, the home went by two minor restoration works in 1920 and 1960, however solely within the interval 2004-2008 was it consolidated. Following the earthquakes of 1940 and 1977, the resistance construction of the home was severely broken, in order that later central heating by the ground, a air flow system, a dehumidification set up needed to take care of the optimum microclimate for the work and the alternative of the worn parquet with one other had been launched in three layers.

Leave a Comment

A note to our visitors

This website has updated its privacy policy in compliance with changes to European Union data protection law, for all members globally. We’ve also updated our Privacy Policy to give you more information about your rights and responsibilities with respect to your privacy and personal information. Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our updated privacy policy.