The Romanian Affiliation of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy (ARPP), because the nationwide consultant physique of specialist psychiatrists in Romania, a member of the EPA (European Psychiatric Affiliation) and the WPA (World Psychiatric Affiliation), took be aware with concern of the draft legislation that was not too long ago voted within the Romanian Senate and which, whether it is adopted in its present type by the Chamber of Deputies, will criminalize the possession of medication for private consumption and can criminalize it with jail sentences of as much as 5 years.
Drug abuse and habit are thought of psychological well being issues each by the World Well being Group, within the worldwide nomenclature of illnesses (ICD-10, ICD-11), and by the American Psychiatric Affiliation (DSM 5).
In Romania, drug customers have been thought of “criminals” because the starting of this phenomenon in our nation, a remnant of the communist regime that was not corrected after 1990.
This manner of managing the phenomenon of drug consumption has brutally disconnected our nation from evidence-based drugs insurance policies and interventions, as advisable by the World Well being Group, UNODC, UNAIDS and the European Monitoring Heart for Medication and Addictions (EMCDDA).
These prestigious worldwide establishments advocate decriminalization of consumptioninvestments within the prevention and remedy of drug addictions comparable in dimension to these achieved in combating the phenomenon via police measures and hurt discount measures to scale back the destructive penalties related to consumption each for the person and for society.
Furthermore, the expertise of all European states exhibits us that the impact of criminalization and rising jail sentences will not be the anticipated one, of reducing consumption, however, quite the opposite, is accompanied by a rise within the destructive results related to this phenomenon (parenterally transmitted infections comparable to HIV and hepatitis C, delinquency, to not point out the lack of human potential related to the transformation of huge numbers of individuals into criminals).
Removed from endorsing or encouraging the phenomenon of consumption of unlawful substances and distinct from the plain prison a part of drug trafficking or sale, concerning drug consumption itself, ARPP attracts consideration to the truth that that is a particularly complicated phenomenon that the accountable European states and never solely that, it seeks to mood and management it with the instruments of public well being, not by coercive means on youth leisure customers, not by sending folks behind bars.
For instance, the expertise of Portugal, which decriminalized private drug use from 2021, exhibits that charges of use have decreased and circumstances of habit are under the European Union common.
In keeping with the most recent report of the EMCDDA European Monitoring Heart for Medication and Drug Dependancy, 45% of the French inhabitants has consumed hashish not less than as soon as of their life. This determine is someplace round 20-30% for giant cities like Bucharest. The potential of criminalizing and the specter of incarcerating such massive percentages of the inhabitants is unthinkable in any civilized nation and has no scientific, ethical or human assist.
We request the state establishments to rapidly change the present outdated and retrograde strategy, during which drug customers are seen strictly as criminals and “hunted” to be despatched behind bars, in order that they are often handled as sufferers of the Romanian well being system, with rights and providers in response to their wants, according to the present European strategy.
As well as, we think about the next measures within the subject completely vital and pressing:
- Growing the variety of beds and/or creating new rehab remedy wards for drug-using kids and adolescents;
- Creation of residential post-cure remedy facilities for drug-using kids and adolescents;
- The launch of considerable, fixed funding for non-governmental organizations that function on the bottom and already supply providers to drug customers for years and have info, prevention and hurt discount initiatives;
- The creation of an institutional job drive / working group to undertake a contemporary and built-in technique of psychological well being, with a give attention to the sector of alcohol and drug consumption in Romania, by transferring the institutional duty from the Ministry of the Inside to the Ministry of Well being, which has specialists with related medical and psychological know-how to effectively coordinate the event and implementation of public insurance policies within the subject of drug abuse prevention and remedy;
- The decriminalization of personal drug use and the channeling of data and schooling campaigns aimed on the inhabitants uncovered to make use of and the discount of related dangers, via a viable and long-term partnership, assumed by the ministries which have apparent competences on this sector (Ministry of Well being, Ministry of of Training, Ministry of the Inside).
We’re open to session on these proposals, which we consider are pressing and completely vital for limiting the devastating results of medication in our society and for a present, evidence-based medical strategy to complicated substance-related issues.
The Board of Administrators of the Romanian Affiliation of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy